Wednesday, April 13, 2011

This & That ...

*  Sick, again! 

This is officially the sixth or seventh time Hannah has been sick this Winter / Spring.  All three of us have bronchitis & Hannah has been cranking the fevers around 103 for part of this week.  Unreal.  It's not Aplastic Anemia & it could be a million times worse but I realize why I get n.o.t.h.i.n.g done ... I have been a full time nurse since around November.  On top of already being the Full-time Everything, just add in nurse & call it a day. 

* Visitors to Kentucky

Jhan & Melissa were in town

They are dear friends from when I lived in Chicago (1994/95)-- I lived in their basement for a summer with my college roommate.  We made a mess.  Lived there for three months and trashed the place like 2 middle school girls.  I think the gift we gave Melissa was a cookbook for all her troubles.  I can't imagine.  She must have wanted to kill us.  Thanks, Melissa ... I really don't know if I'd have the patience or the sense of humor that you had while we trashed your basement.   While they were here they met my kids, encouraged my heart & took me out to the most amazing dinner I have had in a decade.  Thanks, Melissa & Jhan!!! 


Phyllis came to town ...

Phyllis went to nursing school with my mom & was instrumental in leading my mom to Christ.  She came to town for a conference & came a day early to see me & see the girls.  
 She is an ENERGY force but even she had a hard time talking over Miss Lily.  (No joke, Jane!!)  The kids had never met Phyllis but after telling her what a good friend she is to Grandma they felt like my mom's sister was coming to stay the night.  It was instant friendship & an instant audience ...Hannah's guitar was out in no time!!!  We talked, laughed & stayed up way too late.  I am so thankful for her encouragement, kindness & understanding.   What a gift. 




* On the Phone .... 

 For all of 10 minutes.
I swear.   

This child knows that when a phone is attached to my ear she can get busy with what she shouldn't be doing. 
 Her arms looked like leprosy for days.  



* Back to School ... 

Hannah loved Spring Break but was also super excited to go back to school this past Monday (of course, she's been home ever since with cough & fever... and will be home til Friday, thanks to orders from Dr. M.).   

 Waiting for the bus ... happy days!!!!



And last but not least ....


* One Guinea Pig ... 

Over Spring Break we were asked to pet sit a guinea pig for a friend of Hannah's from Girl Scouts.  Sounded easy enough to me.   We wouldn't even have to clean out the cage since the family would only be gone one week.  This family also moved from California last summer & apparently the family guinea pig came on a separate flight for the cost of about $1,000.  So needless to say, Coconut, was no ordinary guinea pig, she was (emphasis on WAS) a BELOVED GUINEA PIG.   My girls were LOVING her.  They couldn't get enough of her.  Holding her ALL the time.  Never putting her down & giving her attention & love galore. 

The second night that Coconut was here I was in the bathtub across the hall from Hannah's room.  I could hear Hannah & Lily talking to Coconut.  They were fine -- happy as could be loving on Coconut.  I was thinking that I have to get the girls a guinea pig because they love having her.  Well, I get out of the tub & stop in the room -- "how's Coconut?", I say.  "oh good, she's sleeping".  Humm ... I think ... sleeping?  sleeping with her eyes wide open & laying on her side????  "Hannah, is she dead?"  "No, mom, she's sleeping."  "Hannah, she's dead. ... she's not moving. ... do guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open!"  Oh my goodness!!!!!! Yes, dead.  I thought maybe she was just playing dead like an opossum but Coconut don't play dead.  Maybe we killed her with kindness?  Apparently guinea pigs can die suddenly or, as my Uncle Eddie said, this one did. 

RIP Coconut ...  We are so sorry!!!  

It was horrible but the family was very kind about the whole thing.  Maybe next year they will enjoy a Stay-cation like the rest of us normal folks. 

All God's best from the Great State of Kentucky,

2 comments:

  1. You are seriously cracking me up with your stories. Is it wrong that I find the dead guinea pig story humorous?

    I once babysat a guinea pig for someone and when one of my friends lifted the cage, the whole bottom fell out, the critter crashed on the floor and died. Blunt trauma no doubt. I tried to replace the sweet thing with another one that looked similar, but it ended up being a nasty biting thing that the kids got rid of.
    I also babysat their bunny rabbit, Casper, after I let the thing out to hop in the backyard for awhile, I went back to put it inside and a dog had jumped the fence and took it's head off, literally. & then we had the incident where my brother ran over their family cocker spaniel. They never asked us to pet sit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to comment about the Guinea Pig story with intent of making you feel better, however, the first comment on "Post A Comment" has me LOL with tears!Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is a painful event. -Joy Graham

    ReplyDelete