Monday, January 25, 2010

Normal Life & Hannah Update

Lily this morning as we were leaving for pre-school (Cars is a favorite!)
Hannah & Jane this weekend


Life has settled down after our week in the hospital. Hannah is in school (2nd grade) full time and Lily is in pre-school 2 days a week. Both girls are so happy at with their school programs ... and that makes me a very happy camper!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having time to myself. I still do not have the house organized the way I'd like to but I am coming to the realization that I might need to fly my sister Miriam out here for a week of Organizational Boot Camp -- she is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!


Lily -- she is the pumpkin pie of the century. Absolutely brilliant and just a complete dream. She is tiny but fierce. She doesn't forget anything & repeats everything back to you.... even days (or weeks) later. She is too far into language development to even count how many words she knows & can clearly say. Tomorrow (1/26) marks 4 years since our adoption paper work was Logged-in to China. 1/26 was always a sad day but this year we can truly celebrate -- Lily is home & Hannah is here to celebrate with her!!!

Life is just good & I am truly so thankful! Tonight I went to the store & almost cried just buying a cute little outfit for Lily (she needs nothing - thanks, Christy!) but I just wanted to pick out something for her! It was so fun to shop for her & I can't wait to dress her up tomorrow!!

Hannah is loving school -- taking off with an interest in reading & continues to love math. Her cousin Jane slept over this past weekend & they had a great time playing Wii & camping out together on the top bunk. I know Roisin was doing the Irish jig in heaven as our girls were causing trouble til late into the night (or morning, depending on your time zone!).

The update on Hannah's recovery: I can't remember if I mentioned this on the blog but so many of you have been praying so I want to make sure you know specifically how the Lord has answered SO MANY prayers!! The December bone marrow biopsy at NIH showed that Hannah has responded to the treatment that she received in June at NIH ("ATG Horse" is the name of the drugs she got). There was only a 30% chance that she would respond to that round of treatment and at the time we even wondered if we should even try the 2nd round of ATG. Thank you, Lord, that Hannah's life rests in the palm of Your Hand, not in a statistic! As of June 09 the cellularity rate of Hannah's bone marrow was around 10% (it had been 0% in December 08), as of this past December the cellularity rate is now between 30 - 40%. The doctors feel there is every indication that this rate will continue to climb. They have seen patients that continue to climb for a couple of years after treatment.

We are now on schedule to go to clinic every two weeks to have Hannah's blood drawn & counts checked. It will be like this for a long, long time as Hannah will always live under a little bit of the cloud of her disease. Lord willing, this is the start of her living a normal life free of Aplastic Anemia!

God is so good and I am so thankful for His healing hand on Hannah... and for the normalcy of our lives right now!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Girl!
    What a great post!!!! Wow do Hannah and Jane look like sisters!!

    So glad life is returning to "normal" and that you now have both your girls exactly where they need to be. Home with you... together!

    Hugs,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb -- thanks for the 'shout out'! I am available & if any of your SoCa friends want to hire me... i will be available for them as well. If I ever start my own business, I will call it "Contain Yourself" Love the pics of your girls and Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are going very well..
    love the photos..
    have a great week..
    Thanks for the update..

    ReplyDelete
  4. God IS so amazing! I never tire of hearing how He is blessing those around the world! We need to celebrate these answer to prayers:0)Yay! Grade 2 & Preschool! Yay, free time and organization! Yay, bone marrow working:0) Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to get this update. She is just a normal little girl!! LOVE IT!! So glad Lily is in preschool- where is she going? We need to get our little Hunan girls together to play sometime. I would just love that!!!

    Christy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight to hear of things moving in the direction of "normal"! We will be praying for continuing and permanent remission for Hannah... such a relief though, that after ALL you've been through that there could be this wonderfully positive trend. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I am not sure how I found your blog, but I am touched. I am a survivor of Aplastic Anemaia. I am 35 years old and I live in North Carolina. I am randomly reading your posts and it brings back so many memories for me... good and bad. I was 12 when I found out I had Aplastic Anemia. I met so many other kids and I often think about them. I know where some of them are and the ones that I don't, I wonder about. I am so thankful to the doctors and nurses that took such great care of me and of course to the good lord for carrying me through when I thought I had no chance. Its a long road, but it can be done!

    ReplyDelete