Friday, December 11, 2009

Happy Hanukkah!


So, I am Jewish and a Christian.

I know, for some, that sounds like a complete oxymoron. But Jesus himself was a Jew and I know Him as Messiah.

Jim is not Jewish but it is has become increasingly important to us to make sure our girls know the Jewish heritage of our family.

My dad escaped the Holocaust. He was on the last train leaving Austria in 1939 that allowed Jews to willing leave the country. From Italy he took a ship with his parents to the United States. They arrived in NYC in October 1939. He was 2 years old.

My dad instilled in my sisters & I a love for those that worked to save the Jews during World War II. Corrie ten Boom is my hero .. if you have not read her book, The Hiding Place, it is a must read. She & her family (all gentiles) hid Jewish people in their Dutch home during the war. Except for Corrie, her entire family died in the camps once they were caught hiding Jews.

All this to say .. we celebrated the first night of Hanukkah tonight. Nothing major because I still don't feel great but it was a miracle to light the Menorah with our two precious miracles.

Both of my daughters are walking miracles. Hannah because of all that she went through to live through this past year & Lily, for so many, many reasons!!!!

I am thankful to the Lord for all He has done to preserve our family.

It has been a very rough year but we have so much to celebrate!

Each day is a miracle ... embrace the life you are living!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. On a separate note, Drew went home from Children's Hospital Boston -- Christmas tree is up at his house. What a miracle for him & his family tonight!! And, Ethan's bone marrow has "engrafted" with his donor's marrow!! Ethan still has many things to get through at City of Hope but, thank God, his body is on the right track! What a gift for his family tonight!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely forgot to mention that Hannah got her ears pierced this week!!!!! She was so cute! She danced around Claire's afterward singing (well, practically yelling) "I GOT MY EARS PIERCED!!!" The lady at the store said, "It is so nice to see someone so genuinely excited about getting their ears pierced." She was very sweet ... if only she knew that this was the LEAST traumatic thing Hannah had been through in the past 12 months. Here are some pictures from our outing at Claire's:

7 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie!

    Thank you so much for sharing your family history. God truly has worked miracles in your family over the past 12+ months. Now, I learn He's been at it for much longer than that!

    It's wonderful to see pictures of Hannah smiling and being a regular kid and getting her ears pierced. (I'll bet I know what she'll be getting for Christmas.)

    God bless you, my friend!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and what an amazing story that your father went through. The experience of the Jewish people is an amazing experience that will forever alter the way we view history. My best firends grandma escaped from a concentration camp and ended up with American soldiers and therefore ended up in the US. It is still hard for me to belive the holocost happened so recenty and affected people we know-- amazing and what a testiment!!

    Great pics!!

    Hugs!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful that you celebrate Jewish and Christian holidays! What a wonderful way to remind your girls of their heritage and talk about God's mercy and plans for all of us with your father's story. Hope you're feeling better soon and that the girls stay healthy. Sure had fun with Hannah the other day!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note to say Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas. I've been following Hannah's journey almost since the beginning (discovered via a Tweet!) and it's truly wonderful to hear that her blood counts are coming up. And Lily is a joy to see - what beautiful girls. I continue to keep the family in my prayers. I know we've never met, but your story of preserverance over the last year has been an inspiration to me. May the Peace of the Lord be with you in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the story about your dad! We were able to visit Corrie ten Boom's house in The Netherlands when we spend a summer in Germany over 10 years ago. I'll have to bring pictures to show you sometime - really amazing.

    We rejoice with you in all of the encouraging updates. Can't wait to see you (soon, I hope??)

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  6. My papa was in the Dutch underground resistance helping rescue Jewish people in WW2. He got caught and spent 5 years in a concentration camp. Just wanted to share that b/c your story made me feel connected to you through our histories...
    It was so great seeing Hannah in church last week! I noticed her during communion at 11:11 and it just blessed my heart at the walking testimony she is to God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazingly beautiful story, thank you for sharing it. I have sincerely loved watching God work in your life this year. You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete