Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kentucky Derby ... From Home!


Hannah was off from school on Friday but 
woke up with both eyes stuck closed & pink eye in both eyes. 

On top of that, she didn't feel well so off we went to the doctor's office.   

The doctor took one look at Hannah & declared "you win the sickest patient of the day award."  Hannah has a double ear infection (again!) and tonsillitis plus pink eye.  The pink eye looks a ton better today just from having eye drops a few times. 

Needless to say, we couldn't go to the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs today ... 
Big Time Bummer!!!

I called to say we wouldn't be able to use the tickets (and to get them back before the race!).  The group that donated the tickets to Hannah have been so kind to let her know that anytime she wants to come to Churchill Downs to see the backside of the track & pet the horses, just let them know.  
How nice is that?   

Well, sick or not, we enjoyed Derby day from here at home in between napping & eating!

and then we curled Hannah's hair ...



Lily said to me a few times in the morning as we were watching the pre-race stuff, "but I don't have a Derby hat!" 

I had not bought a hat for Lily since she wasn't coming with us to Churchill Downs - she was going to be at her friends house down the street & I really hadn't planned for a hat for her.   


So, not wanting Lily to miss any of our fun  -- I did what all moms with a glue gun would do, I made her a hat.  A little construction paper, feathers & paper flowers and we're "off to the races!!"   



And then I got dressed as if I was still going to Churchill Downs.  
Just for fun to take pictures from our deck.  


We love living in Louisville, Kentucky & the town is on fire right now with excitement for Derby time. 

It's a great time to be living in Kentucky.  Sick or not.  We wouldn't trade being here for anything!! 

God has been so good to us and I am so thankful for the normal of going to the doctor & coming home with eye drops & an anti-biotic. 

I know how different things could be & I never take any of this "normal life outside a hospital unit" for granted.  

4 comments:

  1. You- my dear look like a beautiful proper belle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only were you looking good for the Kentucky Derby, but you all would have been right at home at the Royal Wedding! : D Except your hats were nicer! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you missed the Derby. It does look like you still made a special day out of it. LOVE the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie,

    Happy Mother's Day! I am thinking of you! I Love seeing the pictures of the girls. Sorry you missed the Derby but I hope Hannah feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete