Saturday, September 12, 2009

Not An Average Day

I got an invitation from Make-A-Wish to attend an event for Caregivers (thank you, Make-A-Wish people!!). At first when they called I thought they were asking me to come & help with the event - which I would have loved to do but they were calling to invite me as a guest - since I guess, yes, I am a "caregiver". Hello? - sometimes I am so slow! The event was I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. It was non-stop pampering, delicious food, tea, wine, gift bags, etc. Unbelievable. The event was at the St. Regis Hotel Monarch Bay ...think: nicest resort hotel ever built. I got a facial .. incredible! And then a make-up artist did my make up & gave me some tips on make up for "hospital life".. ha, ha! I met wonderful women & came home inspired to participate one day as a volunteer for something like this once I am through with this time of "caregiving".

While I was on the 5 Freeway to get to the event, my car broke down. Yikes. Not fun to cross 5 lanes of traffic to get to the side of the road but I made it. I only had to wait about 1/2 hour for a tow truck. And here I go again ... you know I need time alone when I enjoy sitting in my car on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck because you are just alone. Alone. A foreign concept when living in a hospital for stretches of time 24/7.

It was a wonderful day to be pampered & taken care of ... a great day to allow myself to process some of what has happened to our lives over the past 9 months. I sat in the hot tub alone for hours after the sun set & just cried over all that has transpired this year. 

Truly, I am so grateful for the organization that put on this event . It was definitely not an average day!


4 comments:

  1. So thankful you were able to participate in this awesome event. No one deserves it more than you! You are such a great example of a mother's love. Still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Deb. You deserve every moment! Love you, R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were able to have this experience.

    Love from Maryland,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing for you Debbie, to be able to be pampered and loved on. Praise God for Make A Wish!

    Alone time on the side of the freeway.....what a concept. Glad you are safe and sound. Well, the sound may be questionable at this point!

    I cannot believe it has been a year since Lily came to live in America....WOW, time flies. Love you and praying for you, Tammi Bateman

    ReplyDelete